Volcán Barva (01.01.2012 to 03.31.2012)

You are here

PDF versionPDF version
Year: 
2012
Quarter: 
January - March
Communications activities: 

The Site Manager gave a talk to the OTS staff included the new director of La Selva Biological Station, Carlos de la Rosa, about “Volcan Barva TEAM Project: 8 years monitoring biodiversity at La Selva Biological Station.

           

The Site Manager gave a talk to biology students  at the Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia, about the Costa Rican TEAM site. After this talk, many students were very interested in a TEAM volunteers program.

 

The Site Manager had an educational activity and she presented a POSTER with terrestrial vertebrates data to Ministerio de Ambiente y Energia (MINAET) and local people, to celebrate the Forest day. The goal was to reinforce the importance of the forest ecosystems for the conservation of mammals species. 

 

Unusual Events at the TEAM Site: 

A new individual of jaguar was recorded on Braulio Carrillo Nacional Park (middle elevation – 500masl). This male looks very healthy and kept almost 4 minutes in front of the camera showing a typical behavior of a young male.

 

Chelsea Robinson, A PhD student working with Sassan Saatchi through UCLA and NASA's JPL,  took advantage of our vegetation censuses field trips carried out on February, to start the measurements of wood density along the elevational transect, around our vegetation plots. This work is very interesting because it is related to understand our plots especially on biomass estimations and carbon storage.

New Species: 

There is no new species in this sampling period

Protocol Activities: 

The annual census of trees, palms and lianas ≥10 cm diameter in the 1 ha plot located at  100, 400, 900, and 2800 masl was completed up to date. More than 3000 stems have been measured.

 

We have completed the terrestrial vertebrates monitoring for this sampling period in array 1 and 2. (low and middle elevation). 40 camera traps were deployed. Interesting sightings of 16 mammals were recorded. More than 16000 pictures were processed on the deskteam.
All data and cards were already sent to CI office in Washington.

The climate data from January 1st up to April 3rd  were collected and submitted in the new data entry form version 3.0.  

Protocol Problems: 

We had problems again downloading the data from the datalogger using the cards. It seems to be the datalogger is not transferring the data because the buttom was red. We tried with different cards but apparently there is a bad connection between the CF100 (card reader) and the datalogger.

We tried to recover the data from the memory using the computer directly for downloading the data, but the connection failed so the transfer was interrupted. Fortunately, we schedule another field trip with an expertise using CR1000 to try recovering the data and find the problem with the system. After several attempts and failings in the data transfer, we decided to disconnect the power, then to start again and it worked. We finally could recover the data using the computer, from February up to date.

We removed the CFM100 which looked quite well without any apparent damage and the zorb-it dessecant was replaced. We also updated the firmware (Operational system to 20), and re-install the VB-Climate_v1.0.CR1 program.

In addition, we took advantage of this field trip to remove the two sensors of temperature and RH for calibration. We put a new one and the other sensor calibrated on August 2011. We saw some erroneous data (out of range values) in the data showed by one of the temperature sensors and after we removed this, we noticed that a connector part was rusty.

 

Schedule Problems: 

We had a delay in submitting climate data due the problems downloading the data.

Logistical Problems: 

There was not logistical problems in this sampling period

Suggestions: 

Many TEAM site managers are having problems downloading the climate station data. We need urgently to know how to figure out this problem because we can lose many data.

An improvement on the deskteam is required. I have many pictures (more than 100) of pecaries within the same group. The problem is each picture has different number of individuals, so i have to correct the number one by one and it takes a long time.